Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cantaloupe Shake

Started off this morning with a cantaloupe shake. Had some cantaloupes sitting around that are in desperate need of eating, so I picked the riper one and made myself a shake.

  • 1 whole cantaloupe
  • granola
  • acai
  • honey
Cut the cantaloupe into pieces, and run through a juicer. My preference here is to use the Breville Juice Fountain. While the Omega Juicer will give a better juice yield, with melons it has the tendency to clog, so I can get the job done faster with the Breville. Put the juice into a blender, take about a cup of granola. Put in 2 packets of acai puree. For this shake I like to use the Sambazon Smoothie packs just because its easy to use and since I can clear out the local grocery stores supply of this, its easy to find. Put in a small amount of honey, just enough to sweeten the taste. If I had to guess, I would estimate I use about 1/4 cup of honey. Then liquefy in the blender.

This is great because everything in this recipe is a Group C food, except the granola, which is Group B, so it fits in the Gracie Diet. There isn't a similar recipe in the P90X meal plan, but thats OK. This is just a get up and go recipe for the early morning.

Of course, the alternative is you can eat the cantaloupe whole. There isn't really a compelling reason to juice it, except that for some odd reason, I just don't like cantaloupe is a solid form. I don't know why, I can eat watermelon whole, I just prefer to juice cantaloupe.

No comments:

Post a Comment